Monday, May 2, 2011

My New Scrap System!


Sometimes I've had the problem where I sit down to scrap for a couple of hours or even just 30 minutes and I struggle to come up with something to scrap about. Or, I scrap a layout that I love and in order to finish in the time I have, I force the journaling. These wasted scrap sessions (nap times!) and layouts that didn't sound like me have always frustrated me.


So, the other day when I sat down to scrap and found myself aimlessly pushing photos around, I decided to do something about it! I've always loved the layouts that I've made that I've thought about for a bit ahead of time. Or the ones that I jot down a sketch or notes for in a burst of inspiration. But, spending a day or two thinking about a layout isn't a very good way to get lots done. ;) And, those notes get lost!


Here's what I came up with. I took one of the 12x12 Modern albums from American Crafts and filled it with a bunch of the divided page protectors that hold 4x6 albums. I left the full size 12x12 protectors in the back.




I also grabbed a 4x6 photo album that I'd picked up at the Dollar Store.


Nothing special just a one up album I'd grabbed to alter at some point.

Then, I made them pretty! So fun! The little words under the house say "lives here". The mini album says "scrap on the go". (I used my Dixie Pieces May kit because I adore the colors!)

Then came the work. I grabbed a stack of photos and sorted them into groups. Some of the groups consist of only one photo and others almost a dozen. These may get made into more than one layout. Then, each group goes into it's own section. I try to keep a photo that's really representative of the group both topic and color wise on top.

After that, I pulled out each group, one at a time, laid them out in front of me as if I were going to scrap them right away. But, instead of getting down to business, I grabbed a 3x5 card and wrote down a title or two, some journaling and any other info (like product lines I want to use) on the lined side. If I have any ideas about the design, they go on the back, unlined side. Then I just tucked them back in their slot with the info card at the back.





I just stashed the unused 3x5 cards in one of the slots, too. I may add a pocket for them and a pen to the inside front cover.



The full size 12x12 pages are for when I take this to crops with me, I can just stash the completed layouts in them until I get home! I'm also thinking of creating a section for just ideas sketched onto the 3x5 cards. I chose 3x5 cards because I can get them for soooooo cheap! I have a bunch in my scrap room, by the computer and in my night stand and they are where I scratch down all my ideas. (Seriously, don't zoom in on the cards. My handwriting is atrocious when I'm trying to get ideas down on paper!)


The little mini album is for the same sort of thing except it's alot more portable. I can grab it (with the blank 3x5's already in there), a pack of photos from Costco, a pen (I may have to attach one to the album) and I can "scrap" while I'm waiting to pick up Mickey from school or when Andrew, the kids and I take a road trip. I'm thinking this will get a ton of use in a few years once the kids get into sports and stuff.


Now, whenever I have some time to scrap, I can just grab my Inspiration binder and flip through until I find photos that make me want to scrap or ones that go with the products I'm trying to use. Pull them out and all the ideas are right there with the photos.


I'm so excited about my new system and I hope you all like it and it gives you some ideas, too!

21 comments:

Dettao said...

This is so awesome! What a great idea. I am going to share this with a couple of groups I belong to. Thanks so much for the idea!

Tifany said...

Fabulous idea!!!

-Tifany
http://inkblotsbytrd.blogspot.com

Julie said...

This is a great idea! Hope it helps you get more done!

Mish086 said...

Awesome Idea!

Shazza said...

You did such a great job of covering the album......well done!!

I love your challenges at DP as you always try and think of something a little bit different :)

Cheers
shazza

GLOANN said...

A great idea, Erica. Will have to begin working on this. I do love to have things organized when I go on trips and want to do some scrapping while I'm there. And to have something to do over the miles of the trip would really be great. Congrats on finding a good system.

lalmack said...

I really like your organization for your photos. I may try it with some of mine. Thanks for the ideas!

Ladyofthelake318 said...

I like your ideas. I already separate my photos when I first get them. And I doubt that I'll get so organized as to put them in an album -- but the idea about writing down journaling and details and maybe even tucking in some ticket stubs and etc. -- that might help me out! Thanks for sharing your cool ideas and glad you found a system that works for you!!

Lisa said...

Love your idea. Hoping I can implement it here with my massive stack of photos.

Mary Lou said...

Great job. I love when something works so well.

Ashley Horton said...

What a great idea Erica!! And I LOVE that you made your Inspiration album "pretty"! I try to keep all of my ideas for a lo in my head...and we all know that's not a good place for anything! :) I might have to try this out!

cathy said...

This is a great idea, I use parts of your system but not nearly as well as you have described here.

Another plus for having your 3*5 cards on trips is that you can get your journaling down on the spot instead of trying to remember what you were thinking later. I try to get my kids to write down one or two thoughts about the day every day when we are on a trip, it really help when I am scrapping the pictures months later.

Lisa said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing!! I, too, suffer from the photo push syndrome and this seems like a great way to solve it!

Christine said...

This is an awesome idea! I am going to send a link to you blog page to a couple of friends who may like this idea as well!

Tina said...

Awesome Erica! I love this organization idea! I am going to have to try this! Off to the dollar store lol! Tfs!

Laurie said...

What a cool idea Erica! Particularly the idea of jotting down some journaling ideas. By the time I scrap a page, I forget all the details . . .

Anonymous said...

Great system! I've been thinking the same, but that small "to-go" photo album is an amazing idea! Thank you for sharing this!

ELLEN said...

Great idea to keep everything together in one place! I may have to give it a try!

Pam W. said...

I do something similar but I may need add some of your ideas! Thank you for sharing.

Vanessa said...

What a great idea! I may just have to try this.

Unknown said...

What a great idea. Just the jump start I needed for organization. I am very busy & don't have a lot of time to scrapbook but I know at some point I will. I hate that all my photos are stashed away and I am forgetting the memories behind the moments. I am buying the stuff so I can follow your approach. Thank you for the inspiration!