Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What This Has Taught Me (And a Mickey Update!)

This has been the worst experience of my life. The hardest, the scariest and the most potentially devastating experience. It has also had it's upside. I know, it's hard to find good in something like this but there are good parts.

The biggest of course, is that I have my son back, whole. We were at his follow up with pediatric neurosurgery and there was a couple with their 9 or 10 year old boy there with serious mental problems and he was wheel chair bound. At first I thought about how if things had turned out differently that could have been Andrew, Mickey and I. Before this I would have felt bad for the parents and I still do but I also understand now that having any part of your child is better than not having your child at all.


I've also become a better parent. I used to have a really hard time with getting mad when my kids misbehaved. It was a struggle for me to discipline them and stay calm. This whole thing has brought me the perspective I needed to realize that whatever trouble my kids cause, it's not worth getting angry about. Belongings are replaceable and bad attitudes are normal and often caused by my lack of attention. I'm grateful for that. I wish I could have learned it another way but sometimes lessons that come hard are learned best.

Another good thing is that I'm now a huge proponent of CPR/First Aid. I tell everyone I know to go get certified or recertified. I'm checking our area for local classes so I can get mine redone as well. Currently, the most recent one I can find is late July and I'd like to get it done sooner than that. The last time I had mine recertified was in high school when I was a life guard and that was a long time ago!

I've learned a lot about faith and mine in particular. I've realized that praying for strength is just as important as praying for help. I've learned that asking for help is not weak or greedy.

I've learned that people care, and care deeply. From the stuffy doctor who saw Mickey on the first and the last day in the hospital and had to leave quickly after I hugged him to the Clackamas County 911 dispatch team that has kept him in their thoughts, people from all over the world have cared about my son.

I've also reaffirmed some things about me and my life. I hate suspense. I don't like not knowing how things are going to turn out. My body does not respond well to stress. My coping mechanism is planning and trying to fix things. Andrew is my rock. He is who I've always turned to whenever something major goes wrong. I love my children more than I can properly express it.

Finally, it's also made me glad for some of the things that I already do. I already hug and kiss my kids every time I get them in or out of their car seats. Drive-by hugs and kisses are the norm in our house. I have thousands of pictures of my kids and quite a few of me with them. (Not enough of those though, must do better!) And, I tell them I love them multiple times each day.

Well, that's enough of that. :) We had Mickey's first check up yesterday. He got the okay to take his neck brace off! He had a quick x-ray to check him out and he's all cleared! They don't even want any follow up appointments. Well, unless he starts having pain or something. He's so excited and can't wait to ride his bike again. I was a little hesitant as the collar was a kind of safety blanket for me but now I'm okay with it and so glad he's healing so quickly.

So, thanks everyone for sticking with me through all of this and I am so glad to have you all and your support. It means the world to me!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh Erica I am so happy to hear all ended well!

I just wish I could get over there and give you all a big hug!!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Oh Erica! I had no idea that this ordeal was taking place in your life. I am so grateful that Mickey is going to be OK. This post is so poignant and lovely, and I feel honored to have a peek into this very personal story. Good luck to Micky as he continues to recover, and bless you for being such a good, good mama.

Luv2talk said...

I just LOVE happy endings.

Thanks for keeping us posted. My heart can rest knowing all is well.

:)

Unknown said...

Ditto... Ditto... Ditto... to so many of your words. So thankful you and your family have come through this storm with a happy ending.

Heather said...

Its great to hear the more relaxed Erica! Sending my love to you all across the ocean xx

joscelyne cutchens said...

I'm soooo glad to hear he got the all clear and that you can learn from this near tragedy and use it for good. I love you :) xox

Lisa Watson said...

That is such fab news!!! How exciting to have this ordeal over.

Heather Lough said...

I am so glad to hear that Mickey is okay. I am right there with you on the stress and not knowing how to cope if you can't figure things out and fix them. Such a miracle and so thankful all turned out well.

B Phat said...

Hey Fellow Blogger,

Jennifer and I have been following along with your posts and have just had so much anxiety, hope, relief and sympathy for what you guys have all been going through. We send our love again and look forward to seeing you soon!

jen said...

Wow! a lot to deal with & a lot to be grateful for!! I just went back to read what happened- so scary! I'm so glad you've had a miracle!
(fyi, local fire departments often offer CPR classes, worth calling- you might be able to get in sooner than july)

Gina said...

I came here from Moxie Fab World, and I had to go back and read the whole story - I am in tears, I have goose bumps. I am so thankful that Mickey is okay.

Rita Barakat said...

Erica I went back through and read all about Mickey - you all have been through so much I am so glad he is getting better everyday! I have prayed for your family,and will continue to pray that He will bless you immensly. Although.. having your son off all those tubes and neck brace is a miracle in itself!!

Scrappi Sandi said...

Erica...I am so glad thaty Mickey is back...whole & hearty!! What a rollercoaster it has been for you & how wondeful that you have pulled so many positives from it! Keep thos hugs going & add some from me too!! This has all been proof that miracles do happen, even today!! Enjoy your family! {{hugs}} xoxox