Monday, April 5, 2010

My Craft Room: The Desk Area!

Well, I've saved the best for last! This is my favorite area of the room, my scrap desk area!

It's just to the left as you walk in my scrap room. I've got my Jetmax cubes from Target/Micheals/Craft Warehouse set up behind me and more stuff stashed in my desk itself.


This is my craft desk. I wanted something like the Pottery Barn project table without the $950.00 price tag. I also wanted something that I knew would fit a lot of my scrappy stuff, size wise. So, I picked up two of the IKEA Expedit shelves in the 2x2 configuration to use as my end cases. Then, Andrew and I bought some laminate for the top of my desk and my neighbor, a finish carpenter, made the top for us! (Don't you just love good neighbors?)

The top was built like a tray so it just sets on the Expedits. It's heavy enough that I decided against nailing it down. This makes it easier to move, especially if I decide I want to reconfigure my craft room in the future. My desk top measures 69 1/2" x 33 3/4" giving me a ton of desk top space. It's also deep enough that someone can sit on the other side of my desk and share space. :)

Right now the Expedits hold my albums, some white Walmart boxes that hold specific manufacturer supplies or specific types of supplies. For example, Cosmo Cricket, Fancy Pants, Pink Paislee, clear acrylic albums, that sort of thing. I also store all my 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock in one of the openings, my Slice in another and in the last two, I have my acrylic stamps stored in binders and my basic stamping supplies.

On top of my desk, I have two spinners. The Jetmax one I got on sale at Target and the Making Memories one that was on huge sale at 2Peas. I also have my Ott light and a pen holder that I snagged from my mom. :)

Here's the view between my desk and the JetMax cubes. I've got two garbage cans, the little one for trash and the larger one for recycling and I hang my paper trimmer on the wall. I saw it on Ali Edwards blog and it just makes so much sense for me.


The shelf on the wall is another sale purchase from 2Peas and it's by Making Memories as well. I turned it into my own version of a Clip-it-up with some split ring key tags and drapery hooks from Ikea. I keep my most used letter stickers on it. Oh, and my color wheel and some templates. On top is just some fun, inspirational stuff and the drawers are currently empty.

Behind me on top of the cubes, I have an aqua tool box that I got at an antique fair (love it!). I store my extra trimmers in the back and my glimmer mists/shimmerz/maya mists in it. I've also got some random crafty stuff, like the supples for my Scrabble tile pendants. The wire basket next to it holds 8x8 and smaller paper pads and some journaling pads. Then, another basket with some of my favorite and most used punches. The first aqua basket holds my border punches and the one next to it has my liquid adhesives.



The top row of cubes with glass doors holds my patterned paper and cardstock. The cube next to my cardstock holds extra adhesives in the bottom and naked chipboard on the top. Sitting on a cube next to that is my Ikea thingy that has markers and some ink pads. The two aqua Martha Stewart boxes hold Halloween themed product and zoo themed product. The two Making Memories desktop organizers hold stuff for projects. For example, the one on the left has all the product I use in my daughter's 1st year album. It makes it very easy to get my supplies when I want to work on her book. I got those at 2Peas as well.

Seriously, folks, it was an awesome sale! The desktop organizers were $10.00 each as was the desktop carousel, they both are regularly $40.00! The ribbon shelve was a bit of a splurge at $25.00 but since it's normally $100.00, it was just too good of a deal to pass up! Especially since it put me over the $50 mark and into the land of free shipping. Yeah, baby! I do have to say, picking it up at the post office was a bit embarrassing. They had to have someone help me carry it out as I had Mickey and Audrey with me and Aud was just a few months old.

I don't really have a good pic of the rest of the cubes but they are mainly the 3-drawer type. They have my cardstock scraps, patterned paper scraps, envelopes, card ideas, blank cards, card making supplies, three drawers of miscellaneous schtuff, paint, flock/stickles/crackle paint, eyelets/brads, bling, three drawers of flowers and another drawer with extra adhesive.

I have two cubes that are the 4-drawer style and I keep all my ribbon in those. I keep all my ribbon in tiny ziplocks sorted by color in gallon sized ziplocks.

These are my blue ribbons. :) Sorry for the bad pic, I took it at night and there's only so much an Ott-lite can do! LOL! This ribbon storage has worked really well for me. The ribbon stays untangled and fairly crease free and it's very portable. It's really easy to find the color I need and I write the name of the manufacturer on the bag with a ball point pen.
The cubes with horizontal shelves have layouts in progress, kits and my Heidi Swapp masks on a jump ring in them. The cubes with vertical shelves have projects in progress, layouts from classes that need pics, more letter stickers and some random Scenic Route stuff.

Well, that's my scrap room! The next scrap room post will have my future plans for this space.
Thanks for checking it out! :)

12 comments:

Call Me Crafty Al said...

awesome room!!! very inspirational.

SuzanneRenee said...

wow its gorgeous! I just got my own scrap room and I think I need to 'pretty' it up! :) Thanks for sharing!

Staci Taylor said...

OMG, your room is every scrappers dream! I am SO jealous lol! It's a gorgeous space, and you've organized it beautifully!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love the color you picked!!

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

I love your scrap room! I love those Jetmax cubes - I wonder if they are available in our Target stores downunder? Don't you just love the Ikea expedit range? I think I could marry my expedit bookcase, I love it that much LOL ;)

Anonymous said...

i love your room, plus the color is soothing... beautiful space!!

Anonymous said...

Would you mind sharing what paint color and brand you used for your craft room? Please? it's GORGEOUS and I can't find anything like it and I've tried five stores!

thank you!!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love it! I want a craft room. But most of all, I want to be that organized!

Melissa said...

Love the room, it's incredible! Could you please tell me where you got he cubes with the glass doors? Are they JetMax as well? I'm in Canaa, so perhaps it was ust a US item. Thanks

HeyItsRobin said...

hello! hoping you still check comments left here? I am curious about your craft table (top sitting on two 2x2 expedite bookshelves). The height of the bookshelves is taller than normal desktop - do you have any problems with that? I tried doing this for a computer workstation and it's not working :(

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful space!
heyitsrobin@gmail.com

Darlene S. said...

I just moved to a new house, and I am now in need of a scrap table that fits with the Jetmax cubes but still gives me storage (we had a built-in before). Your table is fabulous! Thanks for the idea! :)

Tina Mayo said...

very nice space..and good deals at 2peas ..didn't know they had that good of sales there!!