Sunday, January 11, 2009

Border Punch Mini Tutorial!

Yep, another tutorial. Why am I calling it a mini tutorial? Well, it's quick and easy and it's only got two steps! :D Hope you like it!

Martha Stewart has a new Scalloped Heart Punch out for Valentines that is slowly gaining interest on the message boards. No, not that Scalloped Heart Punch, although it sounds like she re-released it, good move Martha! It's a border punch and it's pretty stinkin' cute! But, if you already have the Threading Water Punch or even the Stampin' Up! scalloped border punch you may be on the fence about buying it.

Here's how to get that look, and quite a few others, without it!
First off, you need your punches. I've got Threading Water and for this technique I'd recommend it over the SU one if you happen to have both. (Lucky girl!) I also have some teeny tiny punches, doesn't matter what style.

First off, you punch a row of scallops along your edge with your border punch. (See the brown paper below) Then, using the holes in your scallops if you're using Threading Water or putting dots in the centers of the SU scallops (or just eyeballing it!) you punch your teeny-tiny shape in the scallop. Wallah! You're done! I've done hearts (aqua paper), leaves (green, of course!) and then I got my round mini hole punch and did some punching each circle out and some every other. I love the look of the every other punch! (Another reason I prefer the Threading Water Punch!)

Here's a card I made for my mom's birthday this year using the technique and the star punch. Mom's got a thing for Americana-ish colors! She loved it!!!!!!!

I punched every other dot with a star and then colored through the top of the card onto the interior. This would also be a great way to get a stamped looking border of tiny shapes on your layouts.

And, that's it for my mini tutorial! (See, I told you it was short!) ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a pretty effect. And your mom's card looks so "her." (I remember her penchant for the Americana look, even after all these years.)

Lynn said...

Great mini tutorial! I have the threading water and intend to try this! Your blog looks great by the way!

Kay said...

Oh live it! Do you mind if I case this idea for my next SU! class? Oh new catty on the 19th!! Let me know if you want one.

Corina said...

oh, that is SOO cool!!

Brock Family said...

I love this! Thanks for the mini-tutorial!!! Your card is awesome too!

Lynn said...

Hey Erica! I did your one sheet mini album for my dt! Linked up your blog! Here is the link if you want to see! http://memorylane.typepad.com/design_team_blog/2009/01/one-sheet-mini-album-tutorial.html

Thanks again! It was so easy and fun to make!

Christina Carnoy said...

that is so freakin' awesome!!!