Friday, January 9, 2009

The Saga of the Crib Recall

The offender!

I got an e-mail last evening about a crib recall. It said that if your crib is recalled, to stop using it immediately. Stop and immediately were both in all caps and bold. OK, got the message. So, I sneak into little dude's room (he's already asleep) and maneuver my six month's pregnant body on the floor trying to find the darn stickers. Oh, and I couldn't find a working flashlight so I grabbed my cell phone for illumination.

I'll wait for a second while you finish laughing.

So, I write down the numbers and compare to the recall. Right model but now they want me to check the date code. Ummm, thanks for telling me that the first time! Decided phone wasn't cutting it so found the only flashlight in our house (replaced the batteries) and snuck back in. Yup, it's the right date range. Head back to the computer and now it's asking if it was made in Taiwan or China. ARGH!!! Just ask me all this at once people! Little dude wakes up this time and won't settle down in our bed so I let him run around while I finish my online form to Jardine and get myself ready for bed.

At ten, we finally get to bed and he is not happy! The cries were finally abated by a sippy of water and...the flashlight...off. Yup, little dude slept with our flashlight last night. Most kids have a soft blankie or a fuzzy stuffed animal they must sleep with. Not our dude. A plastic tractor, a soccer ball and now...a flashlight. Heh!

Now according to the website, I either needed to call during the day or fill out the online form (I chose the form), they would verify that info and send out a package that we are to send back containing some of the hardware and stickers from the crib. Then, in one to two weeks they'll send us back the voucher. Ummmm, excuse me? Most people who bought a crib probably need to use it on a daily basis! Fortunately, it looks like it won't take as long as they estimated. I got a tracking number from FedEx today for the kit...and they sent it two-day! Thank goodness! Hopefully, Jardine keeps this up because I'm not liking our options.

Option one~use crib. Yeah, you know me, that ain't gonna happen. I'm way too by the book when it comes to my kids safety.

Option two~use Pack-N-Play. Hmmm, might be okay. My biggest issue with the PNP is that at 26 months old, he's a bit too heavy for it to be comfortable for three weeks worth of nights and naps.

Option three~move little dude to a big boy bed. This is probably what I would have done except that we've got the house on the market still. Our house will appeal to more buyers if it appears to be more versatile. One office and one kid's room shows single folk and new couples/small families how it can work for both of them. Two kids rooms is kind of going to throw off the single folk...men, especially! LOL!

So now, I've come up with option four. I'm going to Babies R Us today and see if they will let me buy a crib today and then reimburse me when the voucher comes. I'm thinking they won't but you never know until you ask. And, it's much easier to say no to a voice on the phone and much harder to say no to a woman who is six months pregnant with a toddler in tow. Oh, and I'm thinking if I tell her that right after I get this taken care of I need to register for my current pregnancy she'll be much more amenable! ;)

Oh, and you may think I forgot option five~have little man sleep with us until the voucher arrives. Well, here's how the rest of last night went. He woke up about four times in the middle of the night including once when Andrew got home and it took a while to get him back to sleep. He also rolled off the bed at one point which caused some tears. (I had dumped a pile of laundry there to soften the blow...just in case.) Andrew wound up on the recliner and I wound up getting hardly any sleep and little man wound up getting up at 6:30. For this and many other reasons, he ain't sleepin' with us!

Wish me luck at Babies R Us today!

4 comments:

Kay said...

So far our crib has notbeen on the recall list but thankfully Simon has decided he would rather have his mattress on the floor. Oh and another reason not to have him be in you bed is once you do that it's 10 times as hard to get them back in their own bed! I speak from experience! Unless it's what you want(and that would be fine)try to avoid it. Ugh! Sounds like Mickey is a light sleeper too so his own space is probably best.

Hey I love your page! It's so ...festive! LOL ;) J/K

Lynn said...

Hope you got it worked out! I can't imagine having Erin in bed with us! Would he sleep on a mattress on the ground? Erin does when we are somewhere else but I don't know if she would do it on a day to day basis! Good luck! And try to get some sleep! : )

Rachel said...

That just stinks of PIYA!! I hope you figure it all out! Hopefully you won't experience anymore recalls.

Love the tutorial :)

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

Aww, it's such a cute crib too. So did you end up getting a new 1?