Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dixie Pieces March Kit---Dot-a-licious!!!

Ooooh, this month's kit was sooo much fun to work with! I took it with me to my scrappy President's Day retreat and went nutso with it!

This first layout is about Little Man and his mad "bacuuming" skills! I love that denim strip that comes in the kit, I'm almost out of it and now I'm eyeing Andrew's oldest pair of work jeans! LOL!

Journaling reads~Mickey learned how to vacuum and he loved it so much that he didn't want to stop with just the living room. He made me promise that I'd let him vacuum the hall when he got back from preschool. No problem, Little Man!
All items from March Dixie Pieces kit except for EK Success Bumpy Road punch and Uniball Signo white gel pen.
This next layout just cracks me up! Mickey thinks that every set of letters makes a word and so he writes some out and asks me what it spells! :D The edges of this layout seemed a little plain to me so I cut out a section of the cardstock behind the plaid patterned paper and ran it through my Revolution and adhered some random letters to the cardstock border. To make the letters stand out a bit with out being too obvious, I just stacked two regular mini glue dots on top of each other instead of using my regular foam tape. It gives just a hint of a shadow to make it pop a bit from the background. :)
Journaling reads~Mickey, You love to write random letters on your drawing board and then as me, "What word is this, Mama?". I don't know buddy but I think it's pretty darn awesome! Love, Mom
All items from March Dixie Pieces kit except for Studio Calico Stamp, white Signo pen, Charcoal Colorbox ink and and blue Stampin' Up marker.
I wanted to change up the feel of my layouts with this next one so I used the back side of the yellow Crate Paper polka dot page and made this lighter, non-primary colored page. This was the first page that I busted out the tape with. I made leaves for my Jillibean flowers, a border for the bottom of the patterned paper, an extra layer for the sub-title to hang out on and a little extra touch on my tag.
To get a multi-colored title that looks like the coloring the kids were doing, I outlined the Bella Blvd letters and filled them in kind of sketchily with some fine point markers.
Journaling reads~We have such a good time with Mara on Fridays. Today we dug out the markers and had such fun coloring up a storm. We love Mara!!
All products from Dixie Pieces March kit except white Signo pen, Marvy marker (green), Zig Millennium pen (black) and Bic fine point permanent markers.
This next little layout about Mickey "studying" just makes me happy. I love that pic, love those papers and the whole thing was just fun to make! There's a hidden journaling tag that's also the title, I cut up one of the Jillibean flowers to make some pretty little hearts and while I really wanted to use some more of that denim, I was afraid I wouldn't have enough left for a project that I was planning, so I created "faux denim". I cut a strip of the BoBunny dot paper and roughed up the edges and I'm really pleased with how it looks.

Confession~I still haven't done the journaling on this one! :)
All products from the March Dixie Pieces kit except for Frayed Burlap Distress Ink.
My final layout was one I'd been wanting to scrap for ages. I loved book fairs when I was in school and I was so excited when Mickey's preschool held one. :)
Journaling reads~Mickey's first book fair at Macksburg Preschool. He looked at all of them and really liked the ones about cars and trucks but wound up ordering a Cat in the Hat book.
All products from Dixie Pieces March kit except for white Signo pen and Stampin' Up border punch.
These last few projects were ones I'd planned since the minute I got the kit. I knew that I wanted to make the kids mini coloring books with Color Wonder paper in it so they could color in the truck without me freakin' out! ;)
I borrowed a sheet of 12x12 chipboard and then cut it in quarters to make two 6x6 books. I bound them with my Bind-it-All when I got home.
Here's Miss Thing's book.
And, here is Little Man's! I distressed his letters and then inked them up. Very rugged, don't you think? :)

Finally, I made this last project at home. I'd wanted to make a mobile with paper barn stars ever since I saw my first tutorial on making them. I cut out six stars from the BoBunny paper, scored and folded them to create barn stars and adhered them back to back with a bit of baker's twine in between. I then staggered them in height and tied the twine to a small embroidery hoop. I added more twine to the top to hang it from and then covered the hoop with the denim strip and some red buttons.

So fun to make!!! So hard to photograph!!! LOL!!!

All products from March Dixie Pieces kit except for bakers twine and embroidery hoop.
Even with all the goodies I made, I still have two full sheets of paper, the shrinky dink sheet and a bunch of the letters and accessories left.
Now, the Dixie Pieces February kit sold out quickly last month so if you'd like to get your hands on Dot-a-licious, head over to Dixie Pieces soon! :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

what a gorgeous selection of LOs & really REALLY love your stars mobile xx