Sunday, September 25, 2011

Meet Lilly!!!




We got a dog!!! Her name is Lilly and she's 13 weeks old and she's a black Great Doodle. A Standard Poodle, Great Dane cross. We adore her!!!




We'd been talking about getting another dog for a while now and first we looked into Greyhounds but then we realized that they don't get along so well with cats. Andrew really likes the shorter haired dogs and I really wanted a larger dog so the next logical choice...a Great Dane!




We researched them for a couple months (okay, I did) and they are fabulous with kids and get along with with other animals including cats! The only downside, a tendency towards bad hips and a short lifespan. I really wanted a 1-2 year old dog so we wouldn't have to deal with the whole puppy issue.




Well, our nephew called us Tuesday night and said that he was off to get a Great Dane puppy. What?!?!?! It turned out that there were two left and they were actually Great Dane, Poodle crosses.




I wasn't sure about the Poodle aspect nor about getting a puppy, but the kids and I headed out to see. Well, when we went inside, I sat down on the couch and one of the puppies laid down right under my legs and stayed there for like ten minutes. Um, yeah, sold!!!




So, we took her home and named her Lilly. Since it was such a last minute thing, we didn't have anything prepared. And, since we got home about 9:30, we didn't have time to run to the store so I slept on the couch that night and Lilly slept on the floor next to me.




The next day, I called the vet first thing and squeezed her in for an afternoon appointment. My dad came by in the morning and gave us a crate and then we ran to Costco and PetSmart to get her some other goodies.




At the vet, we got her updated on shots, found out that she has both a yeast and bacterial infection in her ears and worms. Totally typical puppy stuff. She weighs 22 pounds and handled the trip to the vet amazingly.




She lets us handle her ears, feet and teeth without reaction and is just such a sweetie. I'm working on getting her house broken, leash trained and crate trained. Then, we'll move on to other basic commands. I'm having a harder time with potty training her because the recommendation of tethering her to me indoors kind of freaks me out after Mickey's accident.




The upside to the hard work of having a puppy is that I'm sleeping better than I have in weeks and I don't have those awful flashbacks anymore! Yay!!!




Once we get calmed down around here, I'll have more Lilly pictures to share!




We love our new girl! <3

4 comments:

alisonm said...

She is adorable! Not what I expected, i thought she would have curly hair! LOL. I am glad that she is proving to be theraputic for you, you deserve it. Here's to big wet doggie kisses!!!!

Christina Carnoy said...

Congratulations! And I'm happy that she is helping you to have some peace of mind too!

Carly said...

Yay!! She is just a doll! Can't wait to see some more pics! Good luck with the potty training, though it sounds like everything is off to a great start!

Nicole said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you love her! We just got a Golden Doodle and We LOOOOVE him! He's so smart and mellow. I can't wait to see more pics and (of course) puppy layouts! Congrats to your family, Erica!