Thursday, June 11, 2009

Not a good day.

Today started out good. Kids were behaving, and we took off to Sherwood to go to Life's a Scrapbook (awesome store!) where one of my online friends, Lynn was scrappin' all day. Then my cousin, who works across the street from that store stopped in on her lunch to see us. She hadn't seen Audrey yet so it was cool that she got to see her. Anyways, I visited and shopped and then we headed for the hills. I decided to go home via Canby so we could see my mom for a bit.

Well, I got a little hungry and I pulled into the Canby Burger King parking lot and realized that Mickey wasn't right. I got out and went to his seat and he wasn't responding to me, his eyes were rolled up and to the right, he was drooling and twitching...he was having seizure! I called 911 and then when they hung up with me, I called Andrew. I called my mom and Andrew called my dad and they all followed us in the ambulance to one of the larger hospitals with a pediatric ER.

Mickey had a fever of 102.8 and didn't talk to me until we were almost to the hospital. They gave him some Tylenol to bring down his fever, examined him and then decided to give him a CAT scan because he'd bumped his head yesterday. He was dozing off between all this stuff and at one point didn't even wake when they took his temp the "other" way. His CAT scan came out okay and it turns out he has an ear infection and they think a viral infection. They think that is what caused the high fever which brought on a febrile seizure.

We have to dose him every three hours alternating between baby Tylenol and baby Advil for the next 24 hours, give him his antibiotic twice a day and take him to his doc tomorrow for a check up.

He is acting normal now, thank God, and we just need to keep a close watch on him for a few days. They want to make sure it's not meningitis.

Anyway, that scared me to pieces and I never want to go through that again!!!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

WOW! What a day for you. I'm sorry to hear what you went through but i'm glad everything is looking better now. I would have been scared out of my mind. It is just amazing what a simple ear infection can do to the little ones. I hope everything continues to look better. Have a beautiful day!