Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Canby Fire Dept Rocks!!!

So, last night Mickey and I were waiting up for the Canby Fire Dept Santa Parade Food Drive. Mickey got to stay up past his 7:30 bedtime and we watched Santa Claus is Coming to Town and ate popcorn or pop-a-corn as he calls it.


I had my camera prepped and all ready to go (with CF cards), my bag of canned food by the door and I had made four extra bags of popcorn for the firefighters. It was starting to get pretty late and they still hadn't come by. We'd seen them from afar turning down a street a few blocks away and heard them off and on but no drive by. I packed Mickey and I up in the truck to go look for them and couldn't find them. Back home, I called my mom to have her check the paper for a parade route and I looked online. Couldn't find a thing.

Mom suggested I call the department and finally, I did. It was quarter after nine by this time and Mickey was really wanting to to see "engin". I got a hold of the night chief (I think that's what they call him) and asked if the parade was over. He said it was and we could drop off stuff tomorrow. I told him that would be fine and that I was glad they had someone to answer the phone because I needed to put my 2 year old to bed. Well, he told me that he couldn't disappoint a two year old and that, barring a 911 call, an engine and a couple of crew would be right over!!! Holy smokes!! I was so shocked I told them that it was too much trouble and we'd just stop by tomorrow but he wouldn't hear of it. So, this is what showed up at the end of our driveway last night!





They even took our picture in front of the truck with the lights going and everything!

They gave Mickey a hat and a sticker and hung around for a little while chatting. Two of the guys went to the call to rescue my grandma this summer and they totally remembered her! Although, it's got to be hard to forget a 90 year old on a treadmill.

Anyway, that was our exciting evening!!! :D

5 comments:

Kay said...

OMWord! That is so stinkin' awesome!! Those are some of the good thing about living in a close knit community. I bet Micky was over the moon! I know Simon would be.

Unknown said...

WOW that is awesome!! I know who I would be taking a plate of goodies to for Christmas!! What a cool memory for ya'll!

Becky said...

That is so awesome!! My boys would have gone nuts! How lucky for you and Mickey.

Marilyn said...

That is totally awesome! I remember last year, he was already in bed and missed it. I am so glad he got to see it this year, and in such a special way! How goes the house situation?

Lynn said...

Gotta love small towns! =)